Tuesday, July 10, 2007

df - A disk usage reporting tool

What is df?
It is a command to report filesystem disk space usage (on Linux).

Problem
Recently I checked my backup server's disk space. I issued df for that. The output was:

df: cannot read table of mounted filesystems: No such file or directory

Something wrong here. After some googling, I managed to get the solution. I issued this command:

grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab

After running this command, df worked again. One lesson learned. df relies on /etc/mtab for it to work. Now I can easily know how much disk space left for each partition. Thanks df!.

No comments:

Second monitor no display after latest update - KDE-neon

 After latest update as of Oct 3, 2023, my second monitor was undetected with latest kernel (6.2.0-33-generic). If I boot with previous kern...